Saturday, April 30, 2011

People you may know

The 'people you may know' feature on Facebook is fascinating and creepy. I guess you could say the same for many things that Facebook does, like telling you where and when you met someone based on a series of assumptions. Anyway, the point is that the little friend-suggestion sidebar is always staring at me, and I have looked at the expanded page a couple of times before, but I decided to take a more detailed look at what it was up to.

I scrolled down the page and took notes on (1) which row of friend suggestions each person showed up in, where the top row = 1; (2) the number of mutual friends reported; and (3) whether I actually knew the person. Here, I categorised "people I know" as someone I would recognise and talk to if I ran into them on the street, and who would most likely do the same. "People I know of" are generally people I know of through other people and may have met once. I might recognise them on the street but talking to them would probably be awkward or creepy. I scrolled and recorded until I got bored of scrolling and writing, which is of course an extremely systematic way to collect data. But that came up to a decent sample of 242. It turns out I don't know most people on that page.

When it suggests people it thinks you might want to 'friend', Facebook tells you how many Facebook-friends you have in common. So I took a look at how good an indicator this actually is for predicting if you actually know someone. Here are the distributions for the number of Facebook-friends I had in common with people that were suggested, sorted by whether I knew them. The arrows indicate median values. The median number of mutual Facebook-friends did increase across the categories, though they are similar for people I know and people I know of.

But the real question is, how well does Facebook's metric of 'number of mutual Facebook-friends' predict whether I might actually want to be Facebook-friends with friend suggestion X? That's the basic purpose behind this annoying little sidebar on Facebook, right? So I collapsed the first two categories (people I don't know and people I know of...but not enough to be a 'friend' and not a creeper) into one where "Consider Facebook-friending = 0" and the third category of people I know was "Consider Facebook-friending = 1*"

Here is a logistic regression I ran in Stata with the number of mutual friends as a single predictor. It actually turns out a statistically significant relationship (P<0.001) that is not a particularly good fit to the data. But on average, I get a 13% increase in the odds that I will actually be interested in friending someone with every one more mutual Facebook-friend.

I guess that is basically saying what everyone kind of knows already: that if you have more friends in common with someone, you are more likely to know them, even in Facebook-world. So if Facebook was aiming to suggest people that you are likely to click on/friend on its "people you may know" page, it would start the list with people who had more mutual Facebook-friends and go down from there, right? I guess not. This is what I got plotting the number of mutual friends for each person against how far down the page they were (row number). It is rather strange. There is a nice negative relationship starting at the 26th row (a point which any person who wasn't looking for useless data would be unlikely to get to) and a big mess in all the top rows. I have no idea what is going on here...





* I did not actually friend any of them. There are already too many people on my facebook.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha i love this. i'm learning a bit about this thing called collaborative filtering now, which are basically algorithms for figuring out what to recommend to people online, be it friends or books on amazon. there's probably some sort of flaw with facebook's collab filtering system.

    ReplyDelete