Thursday, March 3, 2011

Becoming educated

So taking biochemistry makes me think of my life in RJC, and (somewhat) recently people have been posting links to a couple of blog posts on "growing up in the 90's in Singapore" which unsurprisingly included many references to primary school. Which got me thinking, counting and graphing. This one graph pretty much summarises the last 15 years of my life. Really. I am still a little awed by that fact.

Here are a couple of graphs on the diversity (or 'well-roundedness' which is a term I never really understood because it just made me think of kids in the TAF club) of my education over time. The top graph is a simple count of the number of subject areas (language, math, sciences, social sciences, humanities) each year while the bottom is weighted by the evenness of class composition - basically like a Shannon-Wiener diversity index...BUT FOR CLASSES.


So it looks like I was most diverse around Sec 3 and 4...and least diverse during my 3 seas year. This is what graduate programs do, kids. Expect a downward trend when I start grad school in a couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment