Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Friend accumulation

I've been working like crazy over the weekend to get everything done before the Benthic Ecology Meeting that starts tomorrow, and I think it's been pretty successful because now I'm sitting here with 4 hours to go before my train leaves and I have nothing pressing to do.

So: in addition to my dive log, guess what is an awesome source of data? Facebook. All the friends I have and all the friends I forgot I had. I decided to graph my Facebook friends against when I first met them. Interestingly but unsurprisingly, there are obvious jumps corresponding to starting at new schools in Primary 4, Secondary 1 and JC. I pretty much lost touch with anyone I went to school with before P4. (The curve starts above zero to account for family members who are older than me.)

Obviously this is a limited dataset because plenty of people aren't on Facebook. I also clean out my friendslist once in a while, so the people graphed are the people I care at least somewhat about. Current total: 273.

On the subject of social networks, my research advisor told me to make the best of this conference and do some networking!!! I think my idea of networking is hanging around networked-people that I know...then when other networked-people come to talk to them, they have to talk to me too to be polite.

Benthics in 24 hours!! :)

3 comments:

  1. I wish there were also some way to graph friends over time, like when I was this age, I had this many... which is what I thought you did at first. but fb doesn't enable that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think facebook would know when you actually knew someone, only when you because 'facebook friends' if at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you trace back your number of friends to specific ages?

    ReplyDelete