Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Graphs of a blog of graphs

It's about time this happened, because there was no way I could let these pretty graphs just sit there. Blogger records visitor stats for the blogs it hosts and graphs them. So there are graphs of this blog's visitor traffic. Fig. 1 is a graph of visitor operating systems.

Fig. 1. Visitor operating systems for this blog

Compare that with the OS composition of another more high-traffic Blogger-hosted blog with stats I can access: the TA-run Brown ecology class blog (Fig. 2). Brown is rather maccy in general, but this is a really big difference!!

Fig. 2. Visitor operating systems for Brown ecology class blog

Finally, a general comparison is in order. As I did before when comparing my class diversity over time, this is basically a H' index. I wonder what Shannon et al. would think of my using their index to quantify diversity in ridiculous things, but it's the most familiar measure of diversity to me and here it is (Fig. 3).
Fig. 3. Diversity of this blog vs. the ecology blog

Of course, my real point in posting all these graphs is this idea: if I blog the graphs of the blog and then graph the blog of the graphs of the blog etc. etc. IT WOULD GO ON FOREVER!!!

Next time: web browser diversity!


As a side note: There is obviously some non-independence going on here (e.g. repeat visitors, of which I am sure there are many many many). But this is Blogger's fault and not mine and I am not making any statistical inferences here, so I'm going to pretend all is fine.

1 comment:

  1. Heh-heh, nice. Ignoring repeats further, how about a comparison with the very inexact usage share of operating systems worldwide?

    ReplyDelete