Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Biochemistry flashback

Every time I sit in my biochemistry lecture this semester I have flashbacks of learning some of the same stuff in the lecture theatre and the "Raffles Rooms" at RJC...something like 4 years ago (!!!). So while going over the lecture slides for the first exam I started keeping a count of 'old material' I learnt in JC1 and JC2 (= US grade 11-12) and 'new material', measured in numbers of content-bearing slides. Then, of course, I graphed it.
So...yeah. At least for the first third of the class, there is not that much new stuff. Plenty of re-learning things I forgot, and plenty of re-discovering that molecular-level things are awesome. So, yay for Singapore and the MOE's grand plan to push students into molecular biology and bio-tech-y things? I think that in the 3+ years since I took my A-levels, I've grown to appreciate the value of the strong background in molecular bio and genetics I got out of MOE's syllabus...at the same time, their attempt to push me in that direction obviously didn't work, and I'm glad it didn't :)


(This post is rightfully dedicated to Dr. Adrian Loo, who pretty much taught me everything in the blue part of the pie, answered all my questions on evolutionary biology and ecology, and enjoys getting students stuck in the mud...)

No comments:

Post a Comment